Thursday, March 27, 2008

Aren't we to edify one another, in all things?

On my last post, I posed some questions about when and how to confront other women about the issue of submission. First, I want to point out that submission of a wife to her husband is not my idea; it is God’s plan and command. Colossians 4:18 says, “Wives submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord”. That is just one of many verses in the Bible that states wives are to submit to their husbands. There aren’t any verses that state it is up to the wife to choose whether or not she wants to, it is a command from God. Yes, the husband and wife can decide between themselves what this means in their own marriage. I do believe that even if the couple has agreed the wife can have a good deal of “say so” in their marriage, there is a respectful way of doing so and a disrespectful way. Wives should always choose the respectful way, always! I also don’t believe it should become a big discussion in front of the children; this only causes them to question their father’s authority. I also believe that the husband has the final authority and the wife should accept his decision with a right attitude.

As for risking a friendship, I believe that if we are truly friends and we are both Christians, this should not be a cause for ending a friendship. The Bible says we are to exhort and edify our brothers and sisters in Christ. This means I am to encourage her to follow the word of God, in this area as well as all other areas. If I was not following God’s word in my life, I would expect my sisters in Christ to gently and lovingly point out my errors. (Which has happened by the way and did not end the friendship.) This is why fellowship with other believers is so important; it helps us to stay true to God’s word in our walks by their wisdom and encouragement. True friends should be able to talk about areas such as this without worrying about causing dissention or hard feelings. I wouldn’t go to her harshly and just lash into her with what I believe; I would gently tell her I am concerned that she isn’t following the word of God in this area and it troubles me. I think we should be able to discuss it openly and honestly. If not, then I don’t believe we are truly friends at all, perhaps acquaintances instead.

Blessings,
Rashel

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rashel,

    Having read your last 2 entries, I believe you are right. I can't think of anything you said that was out of sorts or non-Scriptural. I wrote about much the same thing in my article/entry, "Our Places on the Team" and I used Eph as my "model."

    One of the concerns I have is that if these women are moms, especially to girls, what are they modeling in front of those girls? That Daddy is an idiot? That "if we do it 'this way' then Daddy will never know"? We ARE role models for our children, especially the little eyes and hearts of those little girls. If our little girls see us disrespecting our husbands when they're little, the stage will be set for rebellion against their daddys when they're teens. How will they react to his authority then? It all starts w/us.

    Blessings from Ohio, Kim Wolf<><
    http://www.homesteadblogger.com/wannabeone

    ReplyDelete