Friday, July 19, 2013

Purple tomatoes are the bomb!


My husband works at a farm and home store and earlier this season he brought home several different types of tomato plants for us to plant. I tried to keep all the little tags with each plant so we would know what each kind was when it was ready to harvest. Oh my goodness, we have found our new favorite! In fact, hubby says next year it may be the only kind of tomato we plant. Yes, they are that good!




This is our new fave, Cherokee Purple Heirloom tomatoes. Have you tried them? 
Below is a picture of the purple on the left and a celebrity tomato on the right. Look at the difference in color. 


The celebrity was fully ripe and a nice red color, it just looks pale in comparison to the purple. Tonight was the first night I actually did a side by side comparison, sight and taste. I took a bite of the one and then the other, the best way I can explain it is this: the purple tastes like a yummy home grown tomato and  celebrity tasted like a store bought in comparison. Yes, that much difference. I can't even imagine what a store bought tomato would taste like next to a purple, ICK!


Here are the plants growing side by side in containers next to my house. They are on the east side, which means they only get morning sun. They are both growing well and producing well, I just wanted to show the difference in the plants.


Here is a close up of a purple growing, it is almost ripe. They are darker than I can get to show up in a picture.


Here is a close up of the celebrity. It's still a good plant and giving us lots of tomatoes.

I have no idea how a purple would do with canning though. Has anyone ever tried that? 

Do you have a favorite kind of tomato?  I would love to know what it is.

Blessings,
Rashel


Revisited on 2/15/14 and linked to Simple Saturday blog hop.


No comments:

Post a Comment