Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My children's favorite homemade hot chocolate recipe

My children have always loved hot chocolate and I have just been buying the store bought little pouches because I hadn't been able to find a homemade recipe they liked. I knew homemade was healthier, but if they aren't going to drink it, why bother making it and wasting the ingredients. A little while ago I tried to make chocolate pudding from scratch using my raw milk, it flopped. It didn't set up but the flavor was really good and I ended up just drinking mine. While drinking it I thought it would make a good hot chocolate drink or good chocolate milk when cool. So, fast forward a few weeks and it came time to make hot chocolate again. I had lots of raw milk on hand and decided to test my theory of using the pudding recipe, minus the cornstarch. My children LOVED it. They said it was the best hot chocolate ever, although they all agreed it was just a little too sweet and almost too chocolaty (that shocked me). So, next time we made it, I lessened the amount of sugar and cocoa just a little bit. They say it is now the perfect hot chocolate and they do not want the box kind anymore! So, I thought I would share my recipe with you.  I don't have any gorgeous pictures of the perfect cup with just the right amount of marshmallows on top to add to my post, but you can just imagine it in your mind :)

Rashel's Perfect Hot Chocolate

6 cups raw milk
4 Tbsp cocoa
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sugar (I use raw)

Mix all in saucepan on medium low to medium heat, stir and heat until desired temperature, ladle into mugs and enjoy. Be careful not to boil.
  * I don't stir it constantly, just occasionally and I make sure I heat it slowly so I don't boil it and loose some of the benefits of the raw milk. The cocoa and sugar will dissolve as it heats, so don't worry about the clumps at first. Just heat it until it is as hot as you would like it and then ladle into mugs and enjoy!

Please come back and let me know if you try it and how you like it.

Blessings,
Rashel

No comments:

Post a Comment