Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Choosing to Let Go of the Guilt

Have I mentioned that I committed to run a 10k in April? 

Well, I did. I was planning to run the 5k and a friend talked me into doing the 10k - I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!

This all happened several months ago and I started using a 10k app on my phone to train. Everything was going great, I was making progress and knew I had several weeks beyond the app to improve my time before the actual race.



Well, then I went on vacation the first part of November and even though I ran one day while we were there, that was the last day I ran for awhile. Not because I got injured, but because I got lazy! 

Ugh! I took several weeks off from running. I don't know why, other than laziness.  I got mad at myself for taking so much time off and losing some of my endurance, but getting mad didn't help anything.

I finally got back into training and even though I had to back up where I was on the app, I've decided it is okay.  At least I am running again. Yes, I am not as far a long as I was, but I am further than I was last year at this time. 

You see last year when we went on vacation I got completely off track with my eating and exercising - but it lasted 4 months! I was determined not to do that again!

I did good with my eating this year and even though I had some off plan foods while on vacation, I got right back on track when we got home!

I keep telling myself that yes, I stopped running for a month, but at least it wasn't 4 months! It wasn't even 2 months! Progress is what matters right? 

Well, I am making progress and learning from the mistakes I've made in the past. I'm not going to let myself feel guilty about the time I wasn't running, I'm just going to determine to learn from that and remember it next time I think I don't want to run. 

My point - most of us mess up at some time in our lives, what matters is that we learn from it and do better next time. Living in guilt and shame doesn't help anything and that is not what God intends for us. Those feelings are from Satan and I refuse to let him get a foothold in my life.

I choose to believe what is real, honorable and true. I am a child of the King and He loves me even when I mess up. He just wants me to get back up and go again. No guilt. No shame. No condemnation. 

Just love and encouragement.

So if you have fallen off track with your eating, or gotten out of the habit of exercising or maybe something in your spiritual walk is lacking - just jump back up and get going again. It's okay!

Babysteps are better than no steps.

Blessings my friends,
Rashel

No comments:

Post a Comment