Friday, August 16, 2013

Homemade cool whip - THM "S"

I made the choco pudding recipe in the Trim Healthy Mama book tonight and I really wanted some cool whip to go on top. However, the only kind I had in the house was regular cool whip and I knew that was not only not "on plan" but not healthy at all (wow, that was three not's in one sentence). What was I to do but make my own? I had done it before and knew I could do it and make it "on plan". Here is what I did:


I started with 2 cups of heavy cream in my Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk and turned it on fairly high.




Once it had started thickening up just a little (it really doesn't take long), I added one packet of NuStevia and 1 tsp vanilla while it was still mixing.



It is starting to thicken but not quite enough.



Yep, this is much better!


After it was whipped up I transferred it to a glass storage bowl to keep in the fridge. I'm sorry, but I really don't know how long it will last because I always eat it too fast! Have I said how much I love cool whip? Oh I could just eat the whole container by itself!!


I put some on my chocolate pudding and then topped with some gratings of Skinny Chocolate and thoroughly enjoyed my "S" dessert. If only I had been patient enough to make some coffee to go with it. (Please excuse the poor quality photo but I'm just glad I snapped a picture before I woofed it down). 

This is an S recipe because of the cream as opposed to Reddi Whip being an FP, but it is more natural to me and great to have when you don't have Reddi Whip. I hope you enjoy!


Easy Homemade Cool Whip

2 cups heavy cream
1 pkt NuStevia
1 tsp vanilla

Add cream to mixer and whip on a fairly high speed. When it starts to thicken add the stevia and vanilla. Continue to whip until it thickens and makes peaks. Store in refrigerator.



Blessings,
Rashel

10 comments:

  1. If you want to keep it several days add just a pinch of xanthan gum and it keeps better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip Twila!!
    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is whipped cream, the stuff we used before Cool Whip. You can also whip it with a half block of cream cheese to keep it stable for days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding me? That is a recipe for whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's whipped cream, we call it cool whip. I know it is a basic recipe but that does not mean every one already knows how to make it. So, I don't see anything wrong with sharing the recipe.
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry about those anonymous comments. You are right, not everyone knows to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. <3 lol, and some of us need to be reminded of how
    easy it is to make. And good ideas to help it stay fluffed for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know how to do this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete