Thursday, June 6, 2013

Surgery wasn't quite what I had planned

I wasn't going to post about this but decided maybe I can help someone else or someone else can encourage me, so I will share. I prefer this to be for women only, so if you are not of the female gender, please don't read any further. There really isn't anything that will interest you in this post.

I have had problems with ovarian cysts for quite some time, but usually only one time during the month along with my cycle, sometimes not even every month. Since it wasn't severe and only monthly, I just tolerated it because I am against putting hormones in my body unneccesarily and birth control pills were the first medical treatment. So my doctor was fine with the watching game and we kept an eye on them. The first of this year I started having severe pains with my cysts but still only occasionally so I just continued to watch them. Then a couple months or so ago, my pains became more often and they were not in any sort of pattern at all, very unpredictable. I sought the help of an herbalist and quite honestly because the pains were different and more frequent I wasn't sure they were even related to my cysts. She treated me for a few things, (not cysts) and I decided to try the herbs and work on my diet to see if those things helped. I thought at first it did, but then my pains came back. Well, to shorten the story a bit, my pains gradually got to the point they were every day. The pains were pelvic, radiated into my thighs and into my lower back. I was drinking red rasberry tea and taking evening of primrose oil but I also had to take ibuprofen way more than I liked. When the pain became constant, never going away, I decided I had to do something. So I made an appointment with my doctor, but he was on vacation so I saw the nurse practioner. She gave me pain meds and scheduled me for an ultrasound the next day. Praise the Lord for the quickness of that! The ultrasound was on a Friday and the doctor called me Monday to give me the results and schedule an appointment to come back in. By this time the pain was so bad I was taking the prescribed pain medicine plus ibuprofen in between doses and Monday and Tuesday I pretty much stayed on the couch or in bed all day. The ultrasound showed an enlarged uterus, uterine fibroids, endometrial polyp and ovarian cysts. In between my bouts of being knocked out by the pain killers, I was researching all I could on my conditions and the treatments - from medical to natural.
Wednesday was my appointment with my doctor. We discussed my test results and my options and given my history, what we thought was the best treatment. We decided on a partial hysterectomy, I will keep my ovaries, although he will clean them up and remove the cysts. The plan is for laprascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy tomorrow. Yes, that quick. He had a spot open and I wanted this over with, now! It also works out because this is my husbands long weekend off, which means he will be able to be with me without having to take extra days off.
Now I have to tell you that two days ago, I did not want a hysterectomy. I really wanted to heal myself naturally, or at least try to. However after much prayer, I am at total peace with this decision - I was at total peace the moment I made the decision in the doctor's office. I honestly believe this is what the Lord would have me do. He worked out all the details and the timing and gave me complete peace about it. I know many would opt for trying natural remedies first and believe me I did try for a month or so and I had the desire to do more, until I had to live with the pain. It pretty much put a stop to my life, I couldn't do anything the last week and I was constantly taking my medicines just to be able to tolerate the pain. I can't live like that and I won't make my family live with me like that. So, I'm having surgery tomorrow.
When I can, I will post how it went and how I am healing, all those sorts of things. But for now, I appreciate any prayers or any encouraging comments.
I really wasn't going to share this but then I decided if it would help someone else in any way, then I should. Other symptoms I am having are constipation and frequent urination. My uterus is pushing on my bowels and my bladder as well. I was even to the point at times I would not eat because eating intensified the pain. It seems because my uterus is pushing on my bowels, that when my bowels would move with digestion, it increased the pain. I just wanted to share in case someone else has any of those symptoms, it might be worth getting checked out.

Blessings to you all,
Rashel

3 comments:

  1. Will be praying for you. I have had a surgery kinda like this. It only takes a few days to heal. I now take Female Comfort. It is a herbal mix. It really has helped me. I know how you have felt. I hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you found the cause and the remedy for your pain.
    I will pray that all goes well in surgery and you have a quick recovery.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for sharing with me and for your prayers! I truly appreciate it very much.
    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete