Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Choosing God's Path

Over the last few years God has really been teaching me some things and I would really like to share them with you. I believe we all have many seasons in our lives that God brings us through, some to teach us things and some for our discipline because of choices we have made. I know for me personally that through these seasons, God always draws me nearer to Him. My goal is always to walk closer to Him, but I know full well that sometimes I get off course, even when I think at the time that it is the right way.

Path : Crossroad in rural landscape on meadow hill
(photo from www.123rf.com)

I've gotten off course in the area of food. In my search for the best for my family, I let it become an obsession. I became obsessed with what was the "best" way to prepare food for my family, what was the "best" kind of food and then the "best" way to eat that food. The problem with that is not that I wanted the best for my family but that everyone has a different idea what the "best" is. Then I finally remembered that I am to look to God and His word and what do you know, it talks about food. God's word says much about foods and I strongly encourage you to do your own study if you are struggling in this area like I was. So what  did God show me? I believe that my family is to eat foods as close to the state that God made them as possible (read that unprocessed). I believe that He showed us all things are clean under the new covenant and I don't have to live by old testament laws regarding clean foods (bacon is yummy!). He also mentions a land flowing with milk and honey numerous times and always as a wonderful place, so to me that means those foods are good foods. He also reminded me that nothing is to become an idol and when I become obsessed with food in any way (even trying to be healthy), it is wrong. When I am constantly thinking I need to soak this, ferment that, or not eat this with that, it isn't healthy. When it is always forefront on my mind or taking away from other things, it has become an idol and is wrong. When my food choices take away from fellowship with others because I "can't eat" what they are serving or fix my family the foods they love, it is wrong. I have to find the balance in food just like in all areas of life. So in a nutshell, I have chosen to eat healthy, natural foods as much as possible but not to worry when I can't. I also will have bad foods once in awhile and that is okay too, moderation and balance are key. I will not consume myself with things like soaking, fermenting, organic, or even proper combinations (which I have promoted before) but instead just do my best. I'm not saying any of those things are wrong, I am saying that for me, it became an obsession and was taking away from just living my life and enjoying my family.That is wrong.



Another area God has been teaching me is in my home keeping. I guess I have issues with caring what others think of how my home is kept (cleaned). I know part of that is how I was raised, our home was always clean and never cluttered, ever, that I can recall. Anyway, I've come to realize that I am okay with the way our home is, even when there is dust on the shelves and dirt on the floor (which is almost always). However, I always felt embarrassed if someone would stop by when the house was a mess, but you know what? It shouldn't matter! It is our home and we take care of it the way we want to, what is comfortable for us. Yes, my floors almost always need swept, we live on a farm and I have four children! Yes, there is dust on almost every flat surface, again, we live on a farm. Yes, sometimes there are blankets and pillows all over the living room, did I mention I have four children? Yep, my kitchen table is bound to have stuff on it, maybe school books, maybe mail, at the moment a VCR my husband was working on last night - our home is lived in. I have finally come to realize that it is okay, I don't have to impress anyone. This is our home and we will clean it when we have time, we will leave things out sometimes but as long as we are taking care of what God has given us, it is okay. 

Something else I learned through these things, it is such freedom to live as God wants us to instead of how others think we should. It was easy to say I didn't care what the world thought, but the real truth is that I did. Praise God that He is working on me in that area and setting me free from that burden, a burden He never intended me to carry.

Cross : The cross end two nails made in 3d software  Stock Photo
(photo from www.123rf.com)


I pray that if you are carrying any burdens, especially those similar to mine, that you would lay them at the feet of Jesus. Cry out to Him and allow Him to break those chains so that you may experience the freedom that comes only from Him.

Blessings my friends,
Rashel


  Courtship Connection

4 comments:

  1. Great post, my dear! I have had many of these same struggles, but the Lord is working on me as well. Healthy food and living is important to me, but it should never come between God and I. And I want my home to look nice so that I can feel free to be hospitable at a moment's notice, but I can't become obsessed with it being just so, or I'll never have time to minister to others. Very encouraging, thank you for sharing your heart!

    Hugs,
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I agree! I am glad God is doing such wonderful things in your life. It is so easy to get caught up keeping up with those ole Joneses (who are those people anyway and do they matter in light of eternity?). I find myself sometimes making food choices, etc. based on my guilt for not being on the latest band wagon. I have to stop and ask myself, "Is this band wagon going in the direction God is wanting our family to go, or am I just eager to hop on because it looks fun or "they" will criticize if I don't jump on?"

    By the way, I lost the battle on a perfect house 20 years ago...maybe I never fought it! THAT is a whole other topic! Thanks for sharing your heart. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you are learning that so much younger than I did. I still struggle with it as a grandmother. I've always heard, "Homes are made to be lived in" but it was harder for me to put into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly, the LORD is Good. It was a blessing to visit her with you today Rashel. Thank you for sharing your heart. It's a precious thing to rest in HIM, isn't it?

    Blessings,
    Camille

    ReplyDelete