Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Is your quest for "real" food becoming your God?

I have been thinking about this topic for awhile now and I see a need to share about a balanced real food journey. We can't all buy organic produce all of the time or grass fed meats either for that matter. Does that makes us less of a mom or wife? I think not and more importantly, I think God thinks not. (Did that make any sense at all?) God knows our hearts and God knows how much time and money we have to devote to seeking healthy foods for our families. It's okay if you can't do it all. Did you hear me? It's okay, really, it is. If you are spending all your time and effort into making cheese or yogurt, kefir or kombucha, or soaking grains and therefore neglecting your children, husband or home; you need to stop. Stop and look at what your priorities are. Stop and pray. Ask God to give you wisdom in finding a balance for your family.

I have been there and it is not a pretty place to be when you are spending so much effort into healthy eating and your family doesn't even like the meals you are preparing. All they want is their hamburger and french fries back with some ketchup on the side.(and I'm talking homemade french fries deep fried not baked in the oven)  My kids don't want soaked oatmeal for breakfast, they want my homemade cinnamon rolls. I had gotten so caught up in trying to feed them only what was healthy, that I quit making their favorite foods, even if those foods were made from scratch. I started feeling like if it wasn't completely "healthy" then I shouldn't be fixing it, even if whatever "it" was was made from scratch. You know what I'm talking about don't you? I know I am not alone in this. Come on, fess up and tell me you have been there.

 I started feeling like I wasn't doing enough because I wasn't fixing foods the way certain blogs said I needed to fix them. If I wasn't fermenting, culturing, sprouting or soaking, then I felt I wasn't doing it good enough. Why did I ever fall into the trap of believing I had to do it like they said? The old saying I have always heard in this situation is "Who died and made them God?" Do you know what? They aren't God. God created foods for us to enjoy and His word tells me that nothing is unclean if I have thanked Him for it and asked His blessing over it. Now, this does not mean I can ask God to bless a Twinkie and it will give me all the nutrients and vitamins an apple would, I know that. I get it. What it does tell me, is that it's okay for me to eat meat - and enjoy it.  It is okay for me to eat nuts without soaking them first. His word tells me to drink milk and eat honey.  It is okay if I do my best with what God has given me and leave the rest up to Him. That is all He asks of me. He knows my heart.  Food is not to be my idol. A quest for "real food" is not to be my idol. Real food bloggers are not to be my idols.

I plan to post more about this in the future, but until then, I recommend you read these other posts about the same issue from some fellow bloggers that feel the same as me.



The Simple Homemaker



Blessings,
Rashel



also linked with




Growing Home
 

6 comments:

  1. I agree. I can't afford to buy just organic foods. We have a limited budget. I try to have healthy meals too. I can't keep up with everyone else. I can only do what I can do. I am having a garden this year , which I am so thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true Rashel. I am working to feed my family healthy organic foods as much as possible, but I do need to watch at putting my nose down at others who don't! I know my reasons why I'm trying to INCORPORATE more healthy foods and organic foods, as they are better for my body, but by no means is it all encompassing and at every single meal. Food becoming your idol (or as you put it the quest for whole foods, etc.) is definitely an issue. Thank you for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Nicole at Working Kansas Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this post!! And more importantly, I NEEDED this post! Girl, you know me, this is my big struggle right now, finding the balance. We are in a busy season right now, and I'm just not having as much time to do all that I want to do. Thank you for sharing your heart in this! It's nice to know you're not alone.

    Love ya,
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! This is exactly what I have been saying. I believe in moderation and I love making homemade and I try to get organic off of the dirty dozen but I think this whole food movement could very well become a new religion and become a idol. I agree that you should pray and be thankful for your food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to thank each of you for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts. I absolutely love hearing from my friends and getting to know each of you more through your comments. Thank you!

    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete
  6. This topic has been on my mind for awhile. I used to become caught up and focused so much on this subject due to my disease. But no more. I am eating more mindfully. Paying attention to what my family likes and enjoying the process.

    No more of trying to do what others are doing...but what Our Lord is guiding me to do.

    m.

    ReplyDelete