Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Help needed soaking grains

So, I've read about all the benefits of soaking your grains for several hours before cooking them and I tend to believe it is more beneficial to do so. However, it is HARD for me to do it and get whatever I am making to taste good. I follow the directions just as given and it just doesn't work for me. My latest attempt was cheater's biscuits in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. They came out hard as rocks on the outside. I think if I would have cut down on the cooking time they wouldn't have been so bad, but they still were dense and not very flavorful. I don't know if this is just something you have to get accustomed to or if I'm just no good at it. So, I thought I would seek help from anyone else that has tried this. Does it work for you? Does your family enjoy the flavor?  Normally I mix unbleached flour with whole wheat flour when baking, so we are used to the whole wheat texture so I don't think that is the problem. I don't know. I do know that I am not in a hurry to keep putting out the effort and wasting food if it isn't going to get better. Maybe it is a trial and error process. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Rashel

No comments:

Post a Comment