Friday, October 28, 2011

Making a skirt from a pair of jeans

I have done this a couple times before and love the finished product. I can make the skirt however long I want it and it is an inexpensive way to get a new skirt! I am not going to go into details about the "how to do it yourself" because I'm not that good at sewing and giving directions; so I will just post links at the bottom of the post that give detailed directions. I have included some pictures during the process, it is very easy. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you!
First I ripped the inside seams of the legs.

Then I rip the seam out a little way up the back side so it will lay flat. I do the same in the front but forgot to take a picture.
Then I cut out a piece of fabric to roughly fit the opening. I pin the material where I want it, trying to get it to lay flat and smooth. I recommend trying the skirt on to make sure it will hang okay. I have had to reposition the seam near the back pockets before to make sure it lays okay. I then just sew them together, trim the excess material and strings and repeat the process for the front opening. Really technical advice there isn't it.

Here's the finshed project. I am not a professional seamstress and know very little about any technical terms or how to actually sew properly. I just do the best I can and don't expect it to be perfect. I don't worry about finishing the edges inside the skirt either, no one is going to see it and it doesn't bother me. This time I used a dark blue flannel material I had on hand. I have used jean legs from another pair of jeans before when I've done this. If you've never tackled this project because you thought it would be too hard, I encourage you to give it a shot. It is easy and well worth it to me. I started this yesterday afternoon, worked on it when I had time and finished it this morning. It really doesn't take long at all. Oh by the way, I love to find jeans that are just the right length because then I don't have to hem the bottom at all!

Here are a couple links with more detailed instructions. 

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/jeanskirt/

http://sewing.about.com/od/adultclothingprojects/ss/jeanskirt_3.htm

Blessings,
Rashel

6 comments:

  1. Great job, Rachel! I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually in the process of teaching myself some sewing techniques. I'll have to try this in the future. This certainly gives me a creative way to use the jeans that are currently in my closet that I no longer wear. :)

    ~M. Wildflower

    -Visiting from The Modest Mom link-up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a box full of old jeans that I plan on using to make skirts with. I really need to get around to it since my main one is starting to get a hole. Unfortunatly, my machine won't sew denim. My Grandma tried to help me out but her machine broke :( You did a great job! The skirt looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, be sure to let me know if you do try it and how it goes!

    M. Wildflower, I am so happy you are trying to learn to sew. I think you will enjoy it once you are comfortable with it.

    Robin, I also have a box full of old jeans for this purpose and to make a rag quilt some day. I'm so sorry about your machine and your grandmas. I hope you can find something to use soon.

    Thank you all for your sweet comments.

    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rashel,
    I'm going to try this this week-end. I'll let you know how it goes. And I'm going to put your blog on my sidebar. Hope you don't mind. :)
    God bless,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I'm so excited for you! Yes, please let me know how it goes. I'm very humbled and don't mind at all, thank you!
    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete