Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Drying my herbs - more pictures

If you have followed me through the summer, you may remember when I got some really good deals on herbs; if not, you can read it here and another one here. Well, I have to admit I haven't done much with them since they have been growing but I decided I need to harvest and dry them before frost hit; which could be tonight. So, I took some more pictures to share with you.
This is most of it: fennel, spearmint, apple mint, curry, cinnamon basil, sweet basil, lemon basil, purple basil and some of my aloe vera starts off my big plant.

This is a better view of my spearmint and cinnamon basil in the baskets, I have more in paper bags that wouldn't fit in the baskets.

Here is the aloe vera plant I originally paid $5 for. It has grown and given me several starts for new plants. I need to split these two but was running out of time today.

I plan to just hang all the herbs up to dry. Do you have any suggestions? I figured I should cut any blooms off first, but if I'm wrong or if you have better ideas, PLEASE let me know. I am just starting with herbs, so I have alot to learn. Thank you for taking the time to read this far :)

Blessings,
Rashel

3 comments:

  1. I dry mine with the blossoms on. It gives then more flavor. But you can dry then without them too. I like how they look with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so neat! I can't believe you were able to grow all those herbs. I need to see about finding an aloe vera plant soon, I've been wanting one for a long time, but don't know where to find them.

    Hugs,
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelle, thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

    Sara, I was blessed and hope to be able to share the blessing. I will bring you an aloe vera start if we get to meet up in November!

    Rashel

    ReplyDelete