Monday, March 25, 2013

Flaky homemade biscuits


I have been on a search for awhile for a really good, flaky homemade biscuit recipe. I had two favorite recipes but neither was just what I was looking for, so I decided to experiment and come up with a new recipe based on those two recipes. They turned out wonderful! They rose beautifully and were so flaky and yummy! I was so glad we had some left after breakfast because they made a heavenly snack later with some butter and honey!! So, if you are looking for a good, easy biscuit recipe, give this one a try. I hope you like them as much as I do! If you do try them, please come back and leave me a comment to let me know what you thought.





Flaky Homemade Biscuits
(makes approximately 20-24 biscuits)

4 cups flour (I used unbleached white flour)
2 Tbsp sugar ( I used raw sugar)
8 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter- cold 
1 ½ cup milk (I use raw)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. It is okay to have some bigger pieces of butter.  Add milk and stir until combined as well as you can, then turn onto floured surface and knead only until dough is manageable, do not over knead. The more you handle the dough, the less flaky the biscuits will be. The dough may seem just slightly dry and actually flake apart, this is good.  Roll out to about ½ to ¾ inch thickness and cut into biscuits, I used a 2 ½ in biscuit cutter.  Bake until golden brown on top, it is approximately 10-15 minutes but will depend on the size of your biscuits. I usually bake until browned, then take them out, pull one apart and make sure they are done in the middle. 

Blessings my friends,
Rashel



Photobucket           LinkupButton

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to show these to Hubby and try them. I will come back later and let you know how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki, I was going to bring you some today to try but there was only one left! I just made a batch yesterday for us to snack on and they are already gone, yep they are awesome; with just butter, with some jelly or my favorite honey!! I'm going to have make some more tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete