Friday, April 29, 2011

ABC's of a Godly Home - Day A

The Challenge


The challenges given each day will be partially spiritual and partially physical. We will be working on our heart attitudes (the spiritual) while we are working on our homes (the physical). Once our hearts have the right attitude, our homes will follow suit. I’m the type of person that does not like to read an entire plan and then begin, I want to just jump in and get started; so, I’ve made this challenge with a little reading and doing every day. I encourage you not to rush through this process, take your time and let God guide you in this journey. This is not an overnight miracle and it will take some time on your part, but I am certain it will be worth it. Please go at your own pace, even if each “day” takes you longer than a day. Remember, it is a process, not a race.

Day 1: A- admit your sins

We all have reasons for not keeping our homes as we should, but really aren’t they just excuses? Isn’t the real reason that our home is consistently in chaos is because of sin in our lives? Stay with me a minute and let me explain. I’m not talking about the occasional time that we get busy and things get left undone. I’m talking about the normal state of our homes. I am guessing that if you are reading this, it is because you are not happy with the order of your home. Think about what it is in your home that causes you to be unhappy. Is it the mountain of laundry that seems to just grow larger every day? Is it the toys and books scattered about the living room or dining room? Or is it the cobwebs that just keep breeding more cobwebs on your ceiling? What is keeping your home from being a relaxing place for you and your family? Usually it is several of these reasons and many more, which is what is common among the women I have talked to. I believe if we are totally honest with ourselves, we will see some sin in our lives and it is that sin that is hindering us from having a Godly home. Some of my sins are selfishness, laziness, lack of self control and a quick temper. My selfishness leads me to spend more time on the computer than I should and make excuses as to why it’s ok. “But I need to learn how to make sourdough bread” or “I got up early today, so I have a little more time than normal and can use it however I want.” My laziness keeps me in bed a little longer than what I need. “A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.”, Proverbs 6:10 ESV. Staying in bed takes time away from the tasks that are important for my home to function efficiently. Lack of self control and a quick temper do not make my home a relaxing place for my family. Do any of these sound familiar to you; do they lurk in your home as well?

Spiritual challenge A: admit your sins and ask God to forgive you. Spend some time in prayer admitting your sins and also ask Him to reveal any sins that you may not be aware of, then repent and turn from them. After you have asked God for forgiveness (or before if you would rather), go to your family and admit your sins to them and ask them to forgive you. Finally, forgive yourself. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. It’s just important that we don’t live in our sins; we need to confess them and do our best not to commit them again. 1John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” God already knows your sins anyway; you might as well own up to them and ask Him to forgive you and to help you change. I encourage you to find a scripture verse about your specific sin and then find one that shows the appropriate attitude. For example, if my sin is anger, I might look up James 1:19, 20. The appropriate attitude would be joy and a sample verse would be John 15:11. Meditate on those verses today. After you have done your spiritual challenge, you are ready for your physical challenge.

Physical challenge A: Ask your husband what things that need done around your home are most important to him. Is it most important to him that dinner be ready when he gets home? Or maybe just having clean socks and unders in his drawer is top of his list? You may already know this, but you may be surprised if you ask him. Take time to ask him and make sure he knows that you seriously want to know. Your husband will feel special just because you care enough to ask what is important to him. When he tells you, write them down. Then, ask yourself what is most important to you. What do you need done around your home to make it comfortable for you? What things just have to be done for you to be able to function? Add these things to the list of your husband’s requests and save it for your next challenge.

See, that wasn’t too bad, was it? I’m so glad you are taking this journey with me. May I pray for you?

Lord, I ask that you would be with my sister as she makes this commitment to having a Godly home. I know Lord that she has a desire to please you and that she loves her family. Lord, I pray that you would help her to follow your guidance on this journey. You know her every need and only you can truly touch her heart. Lord, I lift her up to you and ask you to do an amazing work in her. Amen.



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I think this sounds great! Thanks for taking the time to do it!! I'm going to be following and participating, but I have no idea how to do the button thing. I will put it on my blog if you tell me how. When my husband gets home from work, he may be able to show me what to do.
    Again, this is a wonderful thing for me!!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara- Yay! I'm so glad you are going to participate. It's pretty easy to put the button on your blog. Copy all of the text in the box below the picture, then go to your blogger dashboard. Click on design, then click on add a gadget on your page design page. When the pop up comes up, scroll to HTML/javascript and click that. Then just paste the text into that box and save. Make sure you drag that gadget box to where you want it on your blog and then push the orange save button. Hopefully that will help you. If not, let me know and I'll try to explain it again.
    Thanks!!
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rashel, we tried and tried to add the button to my blog. My husband is usually really good with that kind of thing. I don't know if wordpress is different with that kind of stuff. Anyway, I posted about it and linked to the series.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ok Tara, it's not a big deal but thank you for trying. Thank you for posting and linking to me. I'm glad you're joining us anyway!!
    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete