Monday, January 2, 2012

Monthly Grocery Shopping

I have been working this morning on getting my bedroom more organized. This is the catch all room (everything that doesn't have a home ends up here), it is also my office area, sewing area, scrapbook area. That all equals alot of clutter and not a very relaxing area for me. (or productive office area)  Anyway, I have been working on that and making some progress but at lunch I decided to sit down and read some blogs for a little bit and maybe find some encouragement in my organizing.

I came across a really encouraging blog post at Jabez Farms, although it has nothing to do with organizing my bedroom! She shares her struggles with spending too much at the grocery store and how she decided to start monthly grocery shopping. Her thoughts really encouraged me to reevaluate my own grocery shopping, I currently shop every two weeks and spend $250 for our family of 6. However, I must admit that I usually make a couple stops at a local dollar store in between and spend a little more there. I really need to stop that. I've decided to at least try monthly grocery shopping and see how it works for us. I have always gone every two weeks because that is how hubby gets paid, but I think I can make this work and it will save me a lot of time. I'm still in the early stages of planning this, but I will try to post my plans and my progress as I go. There are some things I still don't know when it comes to how I will do it, but one thing I know for sure, hubby will  love it if I can find another way to money and I will love gaining the hours I would normally spend shopping!

I will post more as I make my plans and I will follow up and let you know how it goes when I shop.  How often do you grocery shop?

Blessings,
Rashel

5 comments:

  1. I have been hoping to make some changes for us in the grocery department as well. We are making strides towards eating a whole foods, organic diet ( as well as proper food combining). It's a slow process, and will mean a lot of changes in how I shop. Right now we shop weekly and that will probably continue just so we can get fresh fruits and veggies, but I plan on shopping monthly at the whole foods market and ordering from azure standard every 3 months. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out for us!

    Blessings, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every other week. I simply have no where to put more than 2 weeks worth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shop for two weeks at a time. I think it would be neat to do it monthly. Do you normally shop with your children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, I normally shop on dh's day off and take one of my children with me. The way we decide which one is by who has the most stones in their jar. The way they earn stones is by doing nice, helpful or encouraging things around our home. Anytime I see them doing something of that nature, I give them a stone. They can also earn stones by getting their chores done on time without having to be reminded. So far, this system works really well for us. They know when we get groceries, we also go out to eat lunch and they get to pick the place. It gives me one on one time with them and encourages good behavior at the same time.

    Sara, I can't wait to hear more about how your plans work for you!

    Elizabeth, I totally understand and I wonder if that will be an issue for us as well.

    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rashel,

    I just stumbled upon your blog, and it is quite a blessing! I have a himesteader's heart, although we live in a motor home on the road & have no land! ;). I call my bus "the Rolling Raub Ranch," because I am growing a herd of Raubs on the Road.

    Still, we homeschool also and try to be as natural as possible.

    As you continue to seek the Lord, He will continue to guide you!

    God bless!

    Lisa
    Www.LisaRaub.com

    ReplyDelete