Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pictures of my family's tornado damage


The picture below is of my Grandmother's home (my Dad's mom). Can you see the brown door in the middle wall, that is the closet she was hiding in! It's so sad, several of her neighbors lost their lives in the storm. Praise God she made it out alive. We've been working to salvage stuff the last several days and have been able to recover some things.


This next picture is of my Mom's home, her and her husband were not home at the time. We've also been working here the last several days salvaging what we can. We were able to save alot of her kitchen items and alot of pictures and a few pieces of furniture that were family pieces.

I've been totally overwhelmed by the number of people helping all over the city. Every day that we are there working someone stops to ask if we are okay and if we need any food or water (usually several times a day). Today someone offered gloves, safety glasses and hard hats. It's just overwhelming to see all the volunteers everywhere. There have been several times that I have swelled up with tears just thinking of the outpouring of love and generosity. The devastation is overwhelming as well, but to see how others are so caring helps so much. I've been there everyday but one and I'm still amazed when I just stop and take a minute to look around at how terrible everything looks. The destruction is so widespread, it us unreal. However, today in just the small part of the city that we were in, there were two houses we saw that had spray painted the words "God saved us" on the side of the house.

Blessings to each of you,
Rashel

3 comments:

  1. My goodness Rashel! I'm so sorry that your family has had their homes destroyed..but thankfully everyone is safe!

    Our prayers are with all the victims of this disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers go out to you and yours. We just visited your area at the beginning of the month. We are thinking of relocating there. I hope rebuilding goes smoothly and that you will all have peace.
    Blessings!
    Kersten (I check your blog out due to finding it from Faithful Mama!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rashel ~ How dreadful for your family members...but how wonderful that they are safe!! How incredible the power of a Tornado is!! What a frightening time it must have been for your precious Grandma!! What a blessing that you have been to your family at this time...continue to look to the LORD for the strength and grace you need. I will pray for you all this night.

    Many blessings,
    Camille
    (Psalm 46)

    ReplyDelete