Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Titus 2, Our Homes #1

We are taking a break from schooling for awhile and during our break my focus will be to declutter and organize my home. I am going to use a few different techniques to accomplish this; FlyLady and A Clean Heart. There are things I like about both "programs", therefore, I will choose the things from each one that work best for me and use those. For instance, I love the am, afternoon and pm routines; both programs have those and I will adjust them to fit my needs. I also like FlyLady's idea of using the timer for 15 minutes to stay focused and get things done. I like Amy's (A Clean Heart) focus on getting my heart right before God and will use some of her devotions. I am going to use this blog to track my progress, or perhaps lack of in some cases and then if some of you want to join in, you are welcome to!! In fact, I do much better with buddies working along with me, so I encourage you to join me and let me know. We don't have to be working in the same areas, each of our homes are different and we know what we need to work on and when. My worst room is my bedroom, so I will start there. I want my bedroom to be a place of relaxation and also a warm, inviting place for romance. It can't be that with clutter and junk everywhere. I have a hard time relaxing if I can look around and see the piles of stuff I need to do something with. My bedroom is my catchall for things that do not have a home - yuck!! So, this is where I will start - my hardest room. I know it will be a bit difficult because we just have a lack of space, but that is where decluttering comes in, I need less stuff! "You can't organize clutter", I am pretty sure it was FlyLady that said that. Okay, are you with me? What shall we call this venture we are on? I don't want to use FlyLady or Clean Heart (Colossal Clutter Cleanup), since we aren't totally following their plans - but we will be borrowing some of their ideas. Hmmm..........let me think on this for a moment. Okay, this is far from original but after prayer and searching in the Word, I can think of nothing more fitting: Titus 2, Our Homes. See, not original at all but very fitting if you think about it. I will quote Titus 2:5 from the New International Reader's Version; "The younger women must control themselves. They must be pure. They must take good care of their homes. They must be kind. They must follow the lead of their husbands. Then no one will be able to speak evil things against God's word." I think is very fitting on many levels, don't you?

1. We must control ourselves. This can also mean to be disciplined, which I will use for myself as this - be disciplined in getting my routines and daily blessings (chores) done.

2. We must be pure. Okay, this can mean a few things but if you will grant me a little flexibility here I will apply it to our homes. Being pure can relate to not thinking negatively; no thoughts such as "well, I wouldn't have this mess if my children would pick up after themselves" or "why am I the only one that seems to see the dirty clothes on the floor". No more of that negative thinking. Instead let's think pure and loving thoughts such as: "I am so thankful God has blessed me with a husband to pick up after" or "thank you Lord for this opportunity to train my children to be a good stewards with what you have given us".

3. We must take good care of our homes. Okay, this one really doesn't need any elaborations does it? This is our goal, actually is it more than our goal - it is a command from God! Ouch, that hurts a bit.

4. We must be kind. It is much easier for me to be kind when my home is in order and I am not surrounded by chaos and clutter. How about you?

5. We must follow the leads of our husbands. My husband appreciates having clean clothes in his drawers when getting ready for work, instead of having to get dressed out of the laundry basket! He also appreciates me knowing where something is when he asks for it. What would your husband appreciate?

6. Then no one will be able to speak evil against God. This really kind of struck me this morning. I mean think about it, if we aren't doing these things listed above, it gives others a means to speak evil against God because we are to be women of God, following His word and His ways. This should be enough motivation right here for us to "take care of our homes". I want you to stop right here for a moment and pray. Ask God to show you what areas you are lacking in and giving an opportunity for others to speak evil against Him? Have an open heart and really listen to what He is saying to you. It may hurt a little, but we need to do this to really change and make a difference in our homes. Ask Him to give you the strength, the discipline and motivation to do all that He would have you to do. Ask Him for His help and His direction. He is faithful in all things, He will show you!

Now, don't be telling me this is only for the young women, you know the verse before it speaks to the older women and how they are to teach these things to the younger women, right? So, if you are an older woman, you must KNOW these things before you can teach them and if you are a younger woman, you can learn along the way. As for myself, I believe I am in the middle, a little of both. I am still learning but also have a little wisdom to share, by God's grace. So, my fellow Titus 2 women, are you ready to begin? I think I will number the posts according to order of posts (not the number day I am on) so that it will be easier to follow along for those that may join in later.

I pray the Lord would guide us and encourage us in our journey to being the Titus 2 women He has called us to be.

Blessings,
Rashel

No comments:

Post a Comment